Freelance Can Set You Free
I recently interviewed Emily A. Hay, founder of Hay There Social Media, to learn more about how freelancing can help job seekers who are in transition. Emily shared so many great nuggets of learning about how freelancing and consulting gigs can help you at many different times in your career journey. Joining Emily was Darin Bodin, who shared wonderful personal experiences in the consulting world.
Here are a few of their great tips to inspire you to consider freelancing and consulting as an option for you.
- 80% of US companies plan to increase their reliance on a flexible workforce in the next year.
- Freelance has become more mainstream as many companies have fully embraced remote workers.
- The benefits of freelancing include:
👉To close a resume gap.
👉To accelerate workforce re-entry.
👉To enhance work-life integration (think work-life balance.)
👉To provide opportunities for learning new skills.
👉 The ability to work at hours of the day that suit you.
To be a successful freelancer:
1. Have a specialty.
2. Define your services.
3. Upskill yourself – stay current on industry trends.
4. Set realistic expectations.
5. Don’t be a lonely freelancer.
6. Get testimonials from each project to grow referrals.
7. Charge what you are worth.
If you would like to see the full interview, please see the video on YouTube