Starting on January 1, 2018 New York State employees will be eligible for job protected, paid family leave. In 2016, Governor Cuomo signed into law the strongest and most comprehensive Paid Family Leave policy in the country.
Paid Family Leave (PFL) will provide New York employees with job-protected, paid leave to bond with a new child, care for a loved one with a serious health condition or to help relieve family pressures when someone is called to active military service.
The NYS Paid Family Leave Program will be phased in over a period of time. The timeline, amount of time available and maximum percent of employee’s average weekly wage is:
2018 – 8 weeks/ 50%
2019 – 10 weeks/ 55%
2020 – 10 weeks/ 60%
2021 – 12 weeks/ 67%
Here are a few relevant facts:
- NY employees are eligible for Paid Family Leave after working full-time for their employer for 26 weeks or part-time for 175 days.
- Since this law is broader than FMLA, most NY employees will be covered under the law.
- NY employers will be required to purchase a Paid Family Leave insurance policy or self-insure. The premium of the policy will be paid for by employee payroll deductions.
What you can do now to prepare:
- Contact your insurance broker about coverage
- Contact your payroll provider about allowable payroll deductions
- Review your employee handbook to be sure that it aligns with the new regulations
Here is a link for more information: